Livingston Lodge History

In the early months of 1858, eleven men joined together to establish a Lodge of Free & Accepted Masons in the town of Springfield, Louisiana. With the belief in God and aiming towards a better moral station in themselves, these men laid the foundation for Brotherly Love, Relief, and Truth that exists in Livingston Lodge to this day. Over the span of 160 years, Livingston Lodge has initiated men into the degrees of Freemasonry through a course of moral instruction which uses both allegories and symbols to teach its lessons.

February 12, 1858: Formed Livingston Lodge U.D. (under dispensation) in Springfield, Louisiana.

Founding Lodge Officers:
John M. Mahony, Worshipful Master
A.B. Robertson, Senior Warden
N.M. Bankston, Junior Warden
George Colmer, Acting Treasurer
John W. Addison, Acting Secretary
John M. Dower, Senior Deacon
Daniel T. Settoon, Junior Deacon
Noah Lard, Tyler

June 1858: The Lodge moved from Springfield to the Ponchatoula Depot

Civil War, 1865: The Lodge’s Officer Jewels were taken by a Federal soldier when Ponchatoula was ransacked. The jewels were later returned, under a flag of truce, the commander of the attachment being a Mason. 

July 27, 1889: The Lodge moved to the newly formed city of Hammond. The meeting was held at “Johnson’s Hall”. 

1904-1907: The Lodge built a new temple on the corner of East Morris and South Cypress Street in Hammond. It was dedicated on Saturday, May 25, 1907.

Since 1907: Bringing men of good moral character into our Fraternity, building friendships, and giving back to our community. 

© All Rights Reserved.